Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Carrot Cake


Carrot cake. At first I eyed it with suspicion. Then tried it and realized that its taste has nothing to do with the taste of boiled carrots that I for some reason imagined. The added spices give the cake layers a strong flavor that is offset by the gentle tartness of the cream cheese frosting. In short, it's a cake worth trying and a time enduring favorite that is popular for a reason.







This is a large cake that serves 10, a perfect size for a party. I made half the recipe, a cute little cake 6 inches in diameter.

Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting

For cake layers:
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cup finely grated carrots (about 1 lb)
1 cup pecans, chopped

For frosting:
4 cups powdered sugar
2 8-oz packages (450 gr) cream cheese, softened
1 stick (110 gr) butter, softened
4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Grease 3 9-inch pans (I use spray). Using an electric mixer, combine sugar and oil. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Sift dry ingredients into the mixture and mix until incorporated. Mix in carrots and pecans. Divide batter evenly between pans, bake about 45 min, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack completely.

Mix all frosting ingredients, frost cake between the layers and outside. Decorate with coconut chips if desired.

Recipe adapted from an old issue of Bon Appetit. The cake is a part of my series on American classic cakes for my Russian language blog (see New York Style Cheesecake).

28 comments:

  1. Welcome to an American classic, with your take on it being absolutely gorgeous. Will definitely try this version, and your coconut topping is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! You know, I've been reading your blog for a while, it's so awesome to see you here.

      Delete
  2. Wow for your first carrot cake ever it's pretty spectacular! Can't wait to see once you've made it a couple of times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia. I've been baking this cake for a few years now, but when I first tried carrot cake all those years ago it was a revelation.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha - I thought this was your first attempt! I'm still very impressed but a bit relieved that you've had a few years to perfect it (I was feeling like an inadequate baker!)

      Delete
  3. Who doesn't like Carrot Cake! Makes my mouth water just looking at it. Your photos re beautiful. Very peaceful looking like a quiet evening at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a rainy day which lended special light to the photos I think.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful, beautiful cake. You did a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alina you have a stunningly gorgeous blog here! your carrot cake looks absolutely divine!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ally, I've just checked out your blog: nice nails :))

      Delete
  6. Just today morning I was thinking of making a carrot cake and now I see it here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic photos! This slice of cake is gorgeous. Congratulations for a wonderful blog, Alina ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another stunning cake. Wish we were neighbours so I could pop in for tea and you could serve me this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures...I love your site. You have a new follower. ;)
    I would like to invite you to Yumgoggle. Your phenomenal photos have caught our attention, we have been on the lookout for unique and interesting bloggers since we launched our food photo submission site which is http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ This will allow you to showcase all your great work and share it with our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there! Sorry for the shameless plug to our site =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola
    Le felicito por su blog, es realmente muy bueno: sus recetas me encantan y la presentación es estupenda. Desde Spain le seguimos un grupo de amigas y le deseamos mucha felicidad y agradecemos su esfuerzo por realizar este magnifico blog. Ya he hecho varias recetas: las galettes y la tarta de zanahoria.
    Un saludo
    M. Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow - that cake is amazing! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just made it and it came out excellent. The only change is that I used my own cream cheese and yogurt Grand Marnier frosting. Best carrot cake I've had in a long time. I always google around for recipes and I always end up using yours. Consistently good. I don't even know why I google around anymore. Might as well just come here to begin with. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful cake! I made this tonight for my mom's birthday, and although not as beautiful as yours, it was VERY delicious and everyone loved it. I substituted applesauce for the oil (equal parts) and had a wonderful outcome. Super moist and flavorful.
    Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow. it's really a good contribution to us guys not good at cakes, you know i did some cakes before but the taste it's not good, then i quit, so if you have interesting, you can load to catier love

    visit my new make up, give me your advice, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Going to make this today for my brothers birthday. Excited.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this on 6/21/13. It was so good! I followed the recipe exactly. It was moist and flavorful. I may have mixed the frosting too long because it was a bit loose. But a frosted the cake then refrigerated it to let it set for about an hour. Then I took it back out, added frosting to the sides again, and refrigerated it again. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this cake for my mother's birthday party, and she said it was the best carrot cake she had ever had. Everyone who tried it, loved it. The only changes to the recipe that I made was to replace the 1/2 cup of oil with plain applesauce and to add about a cup of raisins.
    Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate your comments. There is nothing I like more than the two-way communication with my readers. Because I hate word verification I won't make you look at those squiggly letters... but I do have to moderate to protect from spam :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...