Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chocolate Hazelnut Cake


What's interesting about this cake is that it barely has any flour: only a couple tablespoons. Ground hazelnuts serve as a binding dry ingredient. The cake is not overly sweet and reminds me of European desserts. With hazelnuts and chocolate being two main ingredients I was expecitng it to taste a bit like Nutella. It didn't. It tasted like a mildly sweet, mildly chocolatey... cake. Don't expect brownie-like richness here either.


I lifted the recipe from Baking Illustrated, and those guys think that chocolate ganache would be an overkill. I think, however, that nice, glossy chocolate glaze (the type made with corn syrup, not necessarily rich ganache) would work well and give it a little more substance.




Chocolate Hazelnut Cake

1 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skinned (by rolling them between towels)
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup (200 gr) sugar
1 stick (110 gr) butter, softened
5 large eggs, separated, plus 1 egg yolk
6 oz (170 gr) dark chocolate - the best quality you can afford - melted and cooled
1/4 teaspoons salt
powdered sugar for dusting, if desired

Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease (I use spray) a 9-in (23 cm) springform pan.

Process hazelnuts, flour and 1/4 cup of the sugar in food processor until finely ground. With an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining sugar until fluffy. Add all yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in hazelnut mixture and chocolate.

In a separate bowl, whip eggs whites and salt to stiff peaks. Carefully fold 1/3 of the egg whites into chocolate batter, then another 1/3 and remaining egg whites. Be careful not to deflate the batter.

Bake 45-50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack and dust with powdered sugar before serving.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, that dessert looks beautiful. Only 2 Tbps. of flour. I would love to make/eat something like this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably gluten-free or something, I don't know! There's got to be some benefit to the unusual composition :).

      Delete
  2. Oh this is so beautiful..maybe a beautiful strawberry coulis would go well with it!! your photographs are simply gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely: fresh berries work well with the cake. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. mmm, i just love the sound & look of this!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! This post is marvellous. The photography is seriously stunning!

    In fact, this inspired me to soon do a blog post of my own featuring this dish that I will match with an outfit! I've just started my food/fashion blog called Gourmet Sartorialist and It's a pretty random concept, but i'd love for you to have a look! :)

    www.netcommads.wordpress.com

    Anyway, keep up the great work! I'll be watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the cutest idea! Two nice things in one :)).

      Delete
  5. Your cake looks incredible. The essentially flourless sponge, made with roasted hazelnuts and flavoured with intense dark chocolate sounds delicious and I love your photographs. Thanks for sharing
    Fiona
    bighungrygnomes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the name of your blog :). Thanks for the nice words.

      Delete
  6. I love hazelnuts, chocolate (of course) and your photographs ;-)
    This type of low-flour (=low carbohydrate) cake is perfect for me, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, you have an AMAZING blog! For the longest time I have been looking for a great blog that had some delicious recipes to share and yours by far is my favourite. I'll definitely try out this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! love chocolate and hazelnuts together

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures are so beautiful. Love those plump berries, very inviting.

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate your comments. There is nothing I like more than the two-way communication with my readers. Because I hate word verification I won't make you look at those squiggly letters... but I do have to moderate to protect from spam :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...