Saturday, September 8, 2012

Tomatoes



Good tomatoes are not always easy to find, but when you do, it's party time!

Tomato salad. These words alone make my mouth water. It could be because of the memory of its sweet tartness. Or just because tomato salad is so darn tasty. As a kid I used to love my father's summer salad: segments of ripe, soft tomatoes, paper thin slices of onions, flavorful dark sunflower oil and lots of cayenne pepper. Collecting the salty juices with a chunk of bread was the best treat.

Now I have access to more sophisticated ingredients, which allow me to build on my memory and make something that works for my family and my grown up taste. With tuna for protein and croutons for carbs this salad makes a well-rounded meal.





Tomato Salad

Serves 2 for lunch

3 large, very ripe tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1 5-oz can water-packed tuna, drained
1/2 small onion, cut paper thin
12 Kalamata olives, pitted, cut into quarters lengthwise
1 tablespoon capers, minced
croutons made from 2 large slices of bread
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
freshly ground black pepper

To make croutons, preheat oven to 300F. Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes, spread over a cookie sheet and bake until crisp, about 15 minutes.

Cut tomatoes into segments, add salt and drain them over a bowl for about 5 minutes to catch the juices. Toss tomatoes with tuna, onions, olives, capers and croutons. With a fork, whisk tomato juice, lemon juice, sunflower oil and black pepper. Drizzle over the salad.

15 comments:

  1. This looks divine! A real tomato pleasure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes, tuna, and olives...a wonderful combination. I love those flavors. I am not regretting passing up those bins of olives at the store over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "now" regretting passing... My goodness, I need to proofread more often!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I understood what you meant :). I wish we had better farmer's markets here. These tomatoes came from Whole Foods. I guess better than nothing.

      Delete
  4. My dear Alina, your blog is always a great inspiration for me! I really adore everysingle post of you :)
    Best regards,
    xxxFiC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These tomatoes are so dreamy... when I was young my grandmother would bring me tomatoes from the market and I'd eat them like apples. I can't eat tuna, but I think this will be great regardless. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good tomato can probably beat an apple :). Nice memories!

      Delete
  6. I love your photos. Without artificial light you keep a domestic and rustical atmosphere here. You can almost smell what you just cooked. Amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree - a great tomato is a just perfect - your photos are gorgeous!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have made an ordinary meal quite extraordinary - your photography is absolutely gorgeous - I have these ingredients in my kitchen and I'm having this for lunch - beautiful!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate your comments. There is nothing I like more than the two-way communication with my readers. Because I hate word verification I won't make you look at those squiggly letters... but I do have to moderate to protect from spam :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...