Sunday, September 2, 2012

Tres Leches



Tres Leches is one of those cakes I hope to see when they bring me the dessert menu. When it's good, it's sooo good. In that respect, it reminds me of creme brulee: too often it is an eggy custard, but when it is perfect, it is one of the best, most exquisite desserts around. With tres leches, it can be too sweet, too boring, too... rough? But if you're lucky, the cake will be creamy, milky, mildly sweet and with a naughty hint of rum. I've found a lovely recipe in Bon Appetit a few years ago and after tweaking it this way and that I got the cake that works well for me. I like that fact that it is covered in meringue rather than whipped cream - really, who doesn't like meringue?

I hope you'll enjoy.





Oh, yes, I should mention some other classic American cake I've written about in this blog: carrot cake, cheesecake, upside down plum cake (now, that one was very popular with the readers!), and black bottom pie. Yes, yes, pastel de tres leches has not been invented in the US - but I think it is now fully American :).





Tres Leches

For cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk

For milk and rum syrup:
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1 14-oz can condensed milk
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons dark rum

For meringue:
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

raspberries for serving if desired

Bake cake:
Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease or spray 10-in (25 cm) pan at least 2 in (5 cm) deep. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until frothy. Gradually add sugar, whip to stiff peaks. Add egg yolks one at a time, then, alternating, add flour mixture and milk, 1/3 at a time, taking care not to deflate the batter. Bake about 40 min, until the top of the cake is springy and the sides start separating from the pan. Cool completely on rack.

Make milk and rum syrup: mix all ingredients.

Make meringue:
In a small pan, bring to boil sugar and water. Once the syrup starts boiling, start whipping egg whites. When the syrup reaches "soft ball" stage (235F, 113C), with the mixer running, slowly pour it into the egg whites. Continue whipping until cool (ab 5 min). The meringue should be smooth and glossy.

Assemble cake:
Place cake on a plate with slightly raised sides (to catch any syrup that may seep from the cake). Trim the brown top off. Slowly pour the milk syrup on the cake until all is absorbed. Cover top and sides with meringue. Serve with raspberries if desired.


30 comments:

  1. mmm looks really good .So its one can evaporated milk and one can the sweetened condensed milk(the thicker stuff)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog and and beautiful cake! fantastic ingredients - so happy to follow you :)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done it again lady. Wow. I made Tres Leches cake for my mom's 60th birthday and it was a hit. Not as gorgeous as yours, but I remember it being darn tasty. Time to make again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love it? Satisfied MY sweet tooth for sure.

      Delete
  4. Browsed all your pictures. Great website.love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks SO amazing. I'm definitely going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Except that I am indeed the person who does not like meringue. Do you have any suggestions for using whipped cream instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andra,

      Oy! No meringue? You can whip 1.5 cups heavy cream with 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. I don't think the cake will keep as long though.

      Delete
  7. Mmm, tres leches is one of my favorite cakes! I've never seen it made with meringue before... I must admit I'm so fond of the whipped cream on top, but maybe I'll have to try this version some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should work with whipped cream, too. Will make it even milkier :)).

      Delete
  8. Oh dear me - this is stunning. Love the addition of meringue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous..
    Lucky that I could only see it on screen and not able to reach out and grab a bite... otherwise I'll pile on unwanted kgs ;P but I will definitely give it a go. Scrumptious :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ваши фотки замечательны. У Вас есть рецепты на русском?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Мой журнал на русском здесь: http://alina-who.livejournal.com/

      Delete
  11. great ! i love tres leches, its very popular in Albania too.
    great blog with cool pics btw.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've just emailed my sister, boyfriend and parents this link, stating that THIS is what i want for my birthday cake. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great website, amazing pictures! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow. it's really a good contribution to us guys not good at cakes, you know i did some cakes before but the taste it's not good, then i quit, so if you have interesting, you can load to mens jackets

    visit my new make up, give me your advice, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been so excited to make this since we featured it on NoshOn.It :) Cake's in the oven now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been so excited to make this since we featured it on NoshOn.It :) Cake's in the oven now!

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate your comments. There is nothing I like more than the two-way communication with my readers. Because I hate word verification I won't make you look at those squiggly letters... but I do have to moderate to protect from spam :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...