Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

Fall Baking

Hi there. Have y'all gotten a fill of all things pumpkin? It seems that every single blog I have read in the past few weeks has a pumpkin recipe, including my own, with pumpkin soup and lots and lots of pumpkins. But I am not done yet! I am now warming up for baking the pumpkin pie that I have been instructed to bring as my contribution for the family Thanksgiving meal. I am doing so by baking my favorite pumpkin bread first.

I used to have prejudice against pumpkin for some reason. Just didn't dig it. Then one day a co-worker brought this pumpkin bread to the office. It is good that I did not know what it was made from because I would have never tried it. As it happened, I did try it, and I loved it. It was moist, rich, and with a great combination of spices. I asked for the recipe and since then I have been making this bread several times a year, especially when I need something quick and something I know will be well received. The biggest fear for me is to lose that tattered hand written piece of paper with the recipe. By writing it here, I am hoping to keep it safe :).


Pumpkin Bread

The recipe makes two standard size loaves. I usually give the second one to a good person :).

3 1/2 cups four
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 16-oz can pumpkin puree (about 2 cups)
1 cup walnuts, if desired
1 cup raisins, if desired

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or spray 2 loaf pans.

Mix flour, salt, baking powder and spices. In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, whip eggs, white and brown sugar and oil. Add pumpkin and mix well. Add dry ingredients and walnuts or raisins, if using. Pour batter into pans and bake for about 55 minutes, until the tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I greatly appreciate your comments. There is nothing I like more than the two-way communication with my readers. Because I hate word verification I won't make you look at those squiggly letters... but I do have to moderate to protect from spam :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...