Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Onion and Apple Galette


Today's recipe is simple and straightforward: apple and onion galette. I saw it in a Russian blog and it captured my attention. I like cooked onions, such as the ones in the onion soup or in an onion-and-puff-pastry tart I made one time. The idea of combining the sauteed onions with apples in a pie intrigued me. What turned out to be the best part though was the galette's dough, made with fresh rosemary. I loved the savory, flavorful nature of it and I am now devising ways to use this dough in other recipes as well.




The original recipe called for sauteing the apples together with the onions. I used uncooked apples in the galette and they came out a little crispy. If you like a softer, more homogenous filling for your savory pie, you should saute the apples.

The original recipe also called for butter but I used some bacon fat instead and it paired nicely with the savory nature of the rosemary dough. I doubt it would make a satisfactory dinner on its own, especially for someone used to eating some serious protein for dinner. What I imagine as a perfect way to serve it is for brunch, together with eggs cooked your favorite way.


I love galettes: they look pretty in a rustic way and they are so much easier to make than proper pies. Just check out my Peach and Apricot Galette and Dark Chocolate and Cherry ones.


Apple and Onion Galette

For dough
1 2/3 cups (200 gr) flour
1 tablespoon hard cheese, such as Manchego or Gruyere
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
 7 tablespoons (100 gr) cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large egg

For filling
1 tablespoon bacon fat or butter
1 large onion, peeled, cut into half and thinly sliced
3 medium or 2 large sweet and tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced into segments
4 tablespoons hard cheese

1 egg yolk for brushing the galette (optional)

In food processor, combine flour, cheese, salt and rosemary. Pulse until combined. Add butter, pulse until mixture resembles cornmeal. Add egg and process until dough begins to form. If the dough is too dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons ice water. Invert onto work surface dusted with flour and knead a few times. Shape dough into disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerated while preparing filling.

Melt bacon fat or butter in skillet. Saute onions until soft and translucent. Cool slightly.

Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Roll dough into a large disk, fold in quarters or drape over rolling pin and transfer to baking sheet. Arrange sauteed onions on top of the crust in an even layer, leaving about 2 inches from the edge. Sprinkle with 1/2 cheese. Arrange apples on top in a pleasing pattern and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Fold the sides over the apples. Brush dough with egg yolk and bake until cooked through, about 40 minutes.

9 comments:

  1. Love rustic galette any day and specially during the cold season. I would have never thought of mixing onion with apple. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never occurred to me either until I saw it. Glad I tried.

      Delete
  2. I am a big fan of galettes..love the rustic look!! apples and onions.. very interesting.. and the rosemary .. am absolutely intrigued by this recipe.. beautiful photos as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The rosemary crust is the best part. Apples + onions may be too unusual for a lot of people.

      Delete
  3. It looks fantastic and that combo of flavors!. I´m marking this down, will make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you make so much deliciuos food! and your food photos are amazing. i believe you may consider to publish a cook book full of wonderful photos one day :)

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate your comments. There is nothing I like more than the two-way communication with my readers. Because I hate word verification I won't make you look at those squiggly letters... but I do have to moderate to protect from spam :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...