Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Saffron and Cardamom Rice Pudding


Short and sweet today: rice pudding. I like its texture: the rice is cooked to very soft consistency and then mixed with whipped cream. The result is airy, souffle-like dessert that is both cozy/simple and fancy enough to serve in nice individual serving bowls.


I make no secret of my love of cardamom and saffron: upside down plum cake, cinnamon and cardamom rolls, and panna cotta are all made using one or both of these spices. Great combination.

Saffron and Cardamom Rice Pudding

Serves 4

2 1/4 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons rice
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon saffron, rub the strands between fingers
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Mix milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and rice in heavy pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 35-40 minutes, until thick and creamy. Add cardamom and saffron, remove from heat and cool completely.

Whip cream with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, carefully mix into the rice mixture. Serve with almonds if desired.


10 comments:

  1. I'm sure is delicious. In Iran they got dessert called sholeh zard which means saffron rice pudding but is very sweet:/ I will prepare yours for next week New Year.
    Greetings from UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to what calendar is that New Year? So interesting, different countries celebrate their traditional New Year's throughout the year :).

      Delete
  2. I'm crazy for anything with cardamom, and I use it all the time, but I've never paired it with saffron. I can't wait to try. The rice pudding sounds so easy to put together--- nice color, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! I like saffron and used lots of it here but to have cardamom more distinct you might want to use less saffron.

      Delete
  3. I have a major love of cardamom too but have never made anything with saffron. I also love rice pudding. This combination sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with saffron is that it's so darn expensive! But so worth it.

      Delete
  4. Hola!
    Acabo de descubrir tu blog a través de Pinterest, me encanta. Tus fotografías son espectaculares y tus recetas tambíen
    Besos desde España.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a Persian classic.
    Love the mason jars...to cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colette. I know nothing about Persian cuisine, how interesting!

      Delete

I greatly appreciate your comments. There is nothing I like more than the two-way communication with my readers. Because I hate word verification I won't make you look at those squiggly letters... but I do have to moderate to protect from spam :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...