Monday, May 6, 2013

Fudgy Chocolate Chip Cookies


I've really been struggling with photographing these cookies. Chocolate is generally tricky to photograph, but it is especially the case with these cookies. How do you convey their dark, intense chocolate-ness (bumped up by adding coffee into the mix) and their soft, almost fudge-y texture? Well, anyway, here it is. I can wait no longer. I must share, good photos or not. For a few years now I have been baking these cookies several times a year, getting *rave reviews* (pardon the cliche). They also freeze well. I found the recipe in my go-to book Baking Illustrated from America's Test Kitchen and modified/simplified it over the years (those guys are way too meticulous when writing their recipes!).


Are you all ready for summer? It's almost here! Wishing you a great, sunny and bubbly week.


Fudgy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes about 3.5 dozen

16 oz (450 gr) dark baking chocolate, chopped, or semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons instant coffee
10 tablespoons (150 gr) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (light or dark), packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Melt chocolate in microwave and let cool. Mix the next 4 ingredients in a separate bowl, set aside. In a small bowl or cup lightly whisk eggs with vanilla and coffee, set aside. Using electric mixer, cream butter with brown and granulated sugar until fluffy. With the mixer running, add the egg mixture, then chocolate. Beat until combined. Add four mixture, mix until just combined (do not overmix). Mix in chocolate chips.

Refrigerate batter for 30 min to let it thicken. In the meantime, heat oven to 350F (180C) and line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Using 1 3/4 inch spring loaded ice cream scoop, shape cookies placing them at least an inch apart (to allow for spreading). Bake 12 minutes (the cookies will be very soft in the center). Allow to cool on sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racksto cool completely.

8 comments:

  1. I agree.. I struggled recently to photograph brownies!! love the pic on the right with melted choc staining onto the paper..!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Brownies are hard, too. You don't want them to look like dark, suspicious looking lumps :).

      Delete
  2. they look and sound fantastic! I super treat :)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking for a dark chocolate cookie! Found it! And your photos are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee,

      Pleeease let me know if they worked for you!

      Delete

I greatly appreciate your comments. There is nothing I like more than the two-way communication with my readers. Because I hate word verification I won't make you look at those squiggly letters... but I do have to moderate to protect from spam :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...